Split is the largest city on the Croatian cost of the Adriatic Sea; after Zagreb is second largest in Croatia. It is an important economic, traffic, cultural, religous, educational, sports and tourist centre.
Split is also one of the oldest cities in the area, and is traditionally considered just over 1,700 years old! Split is said to be one of the centers of Croatian culture;
in 1979, the historic center of Split was included into the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Sudamja – the feast of St.Domnius -St.Domnius, the patron saint of Split, came from Syria. He was a Christian teacher and the first bishop of Salonae, who died during severe persecution under Diocletian. From the early Middle Ages St.Domnius (Duje) is considered the principal patron of the city of Split.
His feast on May 7 is the most important popular feast in Split. It comprises an attractive solemn procession with the relics of the saint through the historical core of Split with the participation of the citizens of Split and their associations.
The Diocletian's palace - It is generaly considered that the Roman emperor Diocletian had the palace built in order to retire to it at the time of his prearranged abdication. He had spent the last years of his life in the palace, until his death around the year 316.
It is undeniable fact that Diocletian had a very successful military campaign against the rebels in Egypt between 297 and 298. A total of 11 Egyptian sphinxes were found in the area of palace, and all the columns in the palace are made of precious kinds of stone – red and grey granite, porphyry and white marble from Egyptian temples and other representative Egyptian buildings.
The complex of the Palace of Diocletian has the form of a slightly deformed quadriteral – the southern half was intended for the imperial suites and cult, and the northern half consisted of two large residential blocks for the servants and the protective garrison.
The Palace was thus defended by 16 forts. The Northern („Golden“) gate is principal entry to the Palace of Diocletian. There are also Eastern („Silver“) gate and the Western („Iron“) gate.
Two main streets inside of Diocletian's palace are cardo (north-south) and decumanus (east-west).
The Cathedral of St.Domnius - The Cathedral of St.Domnius is composed of three different sections of different ages.
The main part is Diocletian's mausoleum, which dates from the end of 3rd century AD.
The bell tower was constructed in the year 1100 AD. It was one of the most beautiful Romanesque towers.
One of the best examples of Romanesque sculpture in Croatia are the wooden doors on Cathedral of St.Domnius. They were made by medieval Croatian sculptor and painter Andrija Buvina around 1220. Two wings of the wooden doors contain 14 scenes from the life of Jesus Christ, separated by rich ornaments in wood.
On the first floor of the sacristy is the cathedral treasury which contains relics of St.Domnius, which were brought to cathedral after his death.
The Peristyle - The Peristyle is an open area which allows access to the imperial apartment on its south side, and it provides communication with the emperor's mausoleum on its east side.
The whole complex of the Peristyle was built for the purpose of the religous ritual in which emperor appeared to his subjects as a living deity, and they worshipped him probably lying prostrate on the pavement of the Peristyle.
Today, the Peristyle is an exceptional stage for theatre and music productions of the Split summer festival named „Split summer“.
Gregory of Nin - A monumental bronze statue of Gregory of Nin, work of Ivan Meštrović from 1929, stands opposite the north gate of the Palace. It was planned for the Peristyle, where it had stood originally. However, it did not fit there because of its mass; so it was moved to its present position in 1954.
Narodni trg (People's square) -This square is situated to the west of the Palace; as early as the Middle Ages it has been the city centre. The complex comprised the Rector's palace and the Communal palace with the City Loggia, old theatre and the prison.
Only the Gothic City Loggia with the city hall stands today, housing the Etnographic museum.
Marmont's street and Prokurative -The western limit of the old city core is the street with the name of Napoleon's marshal Marmont, the man who during his short rule performed important undertakings of renovation and modernisation of Split.
A large architectural complex of the Prokurative is situated on the west side of the street.
The complex consist of three architectural wholes – the north building whose front is facing the sea, and the east and west wing enclosing a square.
In the north wing was situated the old theatre (Bajamonti theatre).
The Croatian National theatre - The Croatian National theatre was built between 1891 and 1893 in the neo-Renaissance style to the designs of the architects Vecchietti and Bezić.
The building was heavily damaged in a great fire of 1971; it was thoroughly repaired in 1979.
Museum of the City of Split -Museum of the City of Split is housed in the Late Gothic Papalić palace.
It has collections of various art objects, stone ornaments which were parts of the historical buildings, weapons, documents, maps and old photographs.
The museum is establishing a gallery, Galerija Vidović, devoted to the most significant Split painter of 20th century and one of the principal protagonists of modern Croatian painting.
Other museums and galleries in Split are: the Archeological Museum, the Etnographic Museum, the Museum of Croatian Archeological Monuments, the Art Gallery and Mestrovic Gallery.